Guides, Articles and Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install my SSL certificate on the Apache web server ?
- 1. Save root and intermediate certificate together with the private key in a folder on the web server.
- 2. Open the Apache configuration file in a text editor Apache configuration files are normally stored in /etc/httpd. The main configuration file is usually called httpd.conf. In most cases you will find the sections at the end of this file.
In rare cases, the blocks are in a separate file in a directory such as : /Etc/httpd/vhosts.d/or sometimes stored in/etc/httpd/sites/ or also in a file called "ssl.conf" .
- 3. If your website should be accessible by both (https) and without (http) encryption, you must create a separate virtual host for each connection type. To do this, create a copy of existing, non-secure virtual hosts and change in the configuration of the port from 80 to 443
- 4. Add the following lines:
DocumentRoot / var / www / website
SSLCertificateFile / etc / ssl / crt / primary.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile / etc / ssl / crt / private.key
SSLCertificateChainFile / etc / ssl / crt / intermediate.crt
- 5. Change the file names and paths to the certificate files corresponding to your configuration :
- SSLCertificateFile should be the main certificate file for your domain name
- SSLCertificateKeyFile should be the key file that you generated when creating the CSR.
- SSLCertificateChainFile should be the intermediate certificate file that you received from us.
- 6. Save the changes and exit the text editor.
- 7. Restart the Apache web server with the following command:
Useful Links :
Apache Support: httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html
Creating an SSL Certificate with Apache + mod ssl : http://slacksite.com/apache/certificate.php
Apache + SSL on Win32 systems HowTo: http://tud.at/programm/apache-ssl-win32-howto.php3